Specialist in McKinney TX: By restoring skin to its best, whole-body health gets a boost
A large body of research connects oral infections and systemic disease. In the dermatology world, we know how localized infections and diseases of the skin can affect whole-body health. For this reason, we have specialists in medical, surgical, cosmetic, and pediatric dermatology trained in a number of products and procedures to manage or treat the 3,000-plus conditions identified by the American Academy of Dermatology.
The skin can speak volumes about what’s going on inside your body. Consider the many roles this largest organ of the body plays:
- Keeps fluids in to prevent dehydration
- Keeps disease-causing microbes out
- Protects bones, muscles, and internal organs from sickness and damage
- Maintains healthy body temperature
- Sunlight stimulates Vitamin D production for bone growth and cell growth, neuromuscular and immune function
While dermatologists have the advanced knowledge and diagnostics to identify specific skin conditions, the surface of the skin can provide clues to medical conditions such as Lupus. A hallmark of this chronic inflammation is a butterfly-shaped rash covering the nose and cheeks. Skin conditions rosacea and dermatitis may be to blame for similar types of rashes. Rough, scaly, itchy, or painful patches of discoloration can be signs of diabetes, but are also telltale marks of psoriasis.
Smooth, glowing unblemished skin is associated with the vibrancy and health of youth for good reason. When we look at your skin and see the following conditions, we may find they are symptomatic of other diseases or may find that some lifestyle modifications are in order:
- Dark circles – It’s true you may just need more sleep or water. It’s also true that this under-eye discoloration may be attributed to allergies, especially when accompanied with other symptoms such as sneezing, stuffy nose, and itching.
- Pale skin – Some patients may naturally have a light complexion. Others with pale skin, especially coupled with fatigue, cold hands and feet, mental fog, and other vague problems may have iron-deficiency anemia.
- Itchy skin – Your skin may just be dry. You could have encountered an irritating substance, or you may have a virus or it can be seasonal. However, itching is associated with a number of internal diseases including thyroid problems and a lymphoma. The itch with these diseases is often very intense, and can’t be relieved with creams.
Even something as seemingly innocuous as cracked, dry lips may not be due to lack of moisture or habitual licking. Skin cancers can occur on the lips and other comparatively overlooked places, including the part in your hair, back of the neck, and feet.
The concern that brings you to our office may have a cause that’s more than skin deep. For this reason, the best skin specialist in McKinney TX must have the depth and breadth of medical expertise with cosmetic skills as well. The Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery specialists apply knowledge garnered from rigorous training programs, prestigious national meetings, and top educational and health care institutions to diagnose the cause of your itch, discoloration and other symptoms accurately.Back to Blog Page