Discuss Treatment Options For Sun-Damaged Skin In Plano, TX
Years of sun damage can have a toll on one’s appearance. Visiting Dr. Bryan Selkin of Plano, TX is a great way to learn about options for treatment that can be used to reduce the appearance of sun damaged skin and reverse what has been done. Many patients may seek treatment for sun damaged skin in addition to other issues such as poor texture and tone or fine lines and wrinkles. Our Dermatologist at the Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery is pleased to offer patients a variety of ways in which they can turn back time and undo the damage that has been caused by sun exposure over the years!
Sun damage often results in the following concerns:
- Poor texture of the skin
- Dull and uneven skin tone
- Hyper- or hypo-pigmentation issues
- Precancerous lesions
- Fine lines and wrinkles
When patients want to address this sun exposure, they can work with a dermatologist to discuss their options for treatment.
Treatment options for sun damage
Below is just a small sampling of ways in which patients can address sun damaged skin at our practice:
- Topical treatment – when patients have severe sun damage and are experiencing pre-cancerous cells, it is important to reverse this as much as possible Topical medications such as retinoids and fluorouracil are often used for these patients, and they experience significant improvement in most cases. They not only address the sun damage but improve the overall quality of their skin.
- Liquid nitrogen treatment – patients who have pre-cancerous cells and growths on the skin will want to speak to their dermatologist about treating them with liquid nitrogen. This essentially addresses the abnormal cells and can cause blistering during the healing process. However, the treatment is effective at reversing the pre-cancerious changes and returning the cells to normal
- Photodynamic therapy – patients with sun damage can reverse it with photodynamic therapy. This special LED light is used on the facial area to treat even the most microscopic areas of damaged cells. This treatment often causes a reaction for many of our patients, so time off social or work activities is often recommended. Patients may experience mild redness and peeling to tenderness and more aggressive changes in the skin . This is often used for the treatment of sun damaged skin, as well as skin that needs to be quickly and easily rejuvenated.
- Chemical peels – Dr. Bryan Selkin may find that the skin can benefit from a chemical peel. This is a specialized treatment in which we will use a combination of chemical ingredients on the skin to stimulate skin cell turnover. This provides an improved cosmetic appearance while also destroying many areas of sun damage. Chemical peels can range from mild and superficial to strong and aggressive. The more aggressive the chemical peel, the longer the recovery time will be. This can be discussed during the consultation appointment at our practice.
Which treatment is appropriate for my needs?
At the Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery, we offer a variety of treatment options for sun damaged skin because there is no treatment that is effective for every patient. Instead, there may be one that works better for one individual but not at all for another. Therefore, we offer many options for patients to choose from, and many of these may be combined for optimum results. This is discussed during the consultation appointment and initial evaluation during which our team can assess the condition of the skin and make recommendations regarding achieving desired results.
Schedule your visit with Dr. Bryan Selkin today!
The team at the Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery assists patients in and around the area of Plano, TX with a wide selection of general, cosmetic, and medical dermatological concerns. If you want to address years of sun damage with safe and doctor-approved methods, contact Dr. Bryan Selkin today at 972-985-9003. His practice is located at 5030 Tennyson Parkway, Suite 100. The Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery also has three other locations in Flower Mound, and McKinney, Texas for a patient’s consideration.Back to Sun Damage Page