Diagnosis and treatment options for adolescent acne in Plano
Millions of people of all ages suffer with acne. It not only impacts appearance, but it can also be a very uncomfortable experience for patients. People, especially adolescents, with acne tend to feel embarrassed by their appearance, causing them to lose confidence. Because everyone’s skin is different, acne treatment can vary significantly from patient to patient. We have years of experience diagnosing acne. Our skilled team can help develop treatment plans that work for you based upon your unique skin type.
What is acne?
The cause of acne is clogged pores. When secretions from oil glands clog the hair follicles, whiteheads or blackheads appear on the surface of the skin. These comedones can become swollen or inflamed, causing them to turn into pimples or deep bumps.
Drug store shelves are filled with acne creams and lotions, and by the time we see many patients with acne; they have already unsuccessfully tried a host of these treatments. There are many different ways to professionally treat acne, and in most cases, a combination of methods works best.
Some of the most common acne treatments include:
- New skin care regimen — Minor forms of acne can often be controlled with an improved skin care routine.
- Topical medication — There are many effective creams and medications that can reduce acne spots including topical retinoids, azelaic acid, and even antibiotics.
- Oral medication — Certain antibiotics, and in some cases, birth control, can help.
- Hydrafacial — Eliminates top layer of dead skin through tiny, exfoliating crystals. When received regularly, it can be a very effective treatment for reducing the appearance of acne and acne scars as well as evening out skin tone for a more youthful appearance.
- Chemical peels — Chemical peels utilize a solution to remove the upper layers of dead or damaged skin. Superficial chemical peels require very little downtime and can rejuvenate the skin by improving texture and eliminating acne.
- Blu light – Non-invasive acne treatment involving no medication that uses safe wavelengths of light to kill the bacteria that cause acne.
If you are in the Plano area, call us today to learn more about acne treatment options.Back to Acne Treatment Page