Dermatologist in Flower Mound, TX describes options available for treatment of rosacea
Patients in the Flower Mound, TX area who are interested in learning about the options available for the treatment of skin concerns such as rosacea are welcome to book a consultation appointment with Dr. Bryan Selkin, a dermatologist at the Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery. We work closely with men and women to help them find the best solutions for their medical and cosmetic skin concerns and welcome new patients to schedule a visit for a consultation and evaluation.
What is rosacea?
Conditions such as rosacea are not necessarily harmful – but they can impact one’s overall appearance and self-esteem. This is an inflammatory condition that affects over 14 million Americans. This chronic disorder often results in flare-ups that can occur regularly and be severe enough to affect one’s personal and business relationships. Depending on the type of rosacea, patients can experience redness, flushing, and acne type lesions. The most common location is the central face. In some, the eyes are affected with symptoms of dry eye, redness, or foreign body sensation in the eye.
Who is at risk for rosacea?
It is unknown what triggers rosacea in a patient, but people with fair skin are most at risk of developing this condition. It is not often seen in children, and is more common in adults.
What causes rosacea flare-ups?
There are many reasons a patient may experience a flare-up. It may be related to:
- Hot or spicy foods
- Changes in the temperature or environment
- Certain beverages such as red wine
- Stress or emotional changes
- Sun exposure
How can rosacea be treated?
To treat rosacea, patients must first have an accurate diagnosis. This is achieved by visiting Dr. Bryan Selkin, a dermatologist at the Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery in Flower Mound, TX. During an initial evaluation, Dr. Bryan Selkin will discuss with patients the changes they experience in their skin, what they experience during flare-ups, and evaluate the severity of the condition. Once a diagnosis has been made, treatment options may be discussed. Treatment may involve one or more of the following:
- Avoidance techniques – by avoiding the triggers, patients can keep their rosacea under control and reduce the number and severity of their flare-ups
- Oral medications – to decrease inflammation, some patients will benefit from regularly taking oral medications such as antibiotics or anti-inflammatories prescribed by their dermatologist.
- IPL/light treatments – with the use of intense pulsed light on a regular basis, many patients who struggle with chronic rosacea may be able to keep redness under control while evening out their skin tone.
- Moisturizers – prescription strength moisturizers are often used to control dryness and improve the skin’s texture and tone.
- Sunscreen – patients with rosacea are extremely susceptible to flare-ups caused by sun exposure, while also needing to protect their skin from skin cancer. High SPF sunscreens that are mild for sensitive skin are often recommended for rosacea patients.
- Anti-redness creams – Dr. Bryan Selkin may suggest some specialized creams that can calm the skin and reduce the appearance of redness caused by rosacea and its flare-ups.
Which treatment is right for me?
Determining the severity and type of rosacea is the first step by our dermatologists in choosing a regimen that will be effective. Each situation is unique, and some patients respond better to certain treatments when compared to other patients – trial and error may be needed until the proper formula is determined for ongoing care and control of rosacea.
Schedule an appointment with Dr. Bryan Selkin and his team!
At the Center for Dermatology and Cosmetic Laser Surgery in Flower Mound, TX, patients have a variety of options available to them for the treatment of a variety of skin conditions, including rosacea. If you have cosmetic or medical skin concerns and are seeking solutions that are effective and affordable, contact a dermatologist to discuss your options. Dr. Bryan Selkin and his team are committed to providing a variety of treatments for patients to consider for this and many other skin conditions that may develop. Call the Flower Mound, TX office at 972-985-9003 and visit at 4001 Prairie Road, Suite 145. There are also other convenient locations in the areas of Plano,and McKinney, TX.Back to Rosacea Page